Sunday, August 14, 2011

In your opinion, was I out of line?

I am a child care provider full time. I have a profile on a site that helps match families with local providers. I received an email from a potential employer requesting an in-home interview. I normally conduct all of my interviews in public venues for safety reasons, but I was really wanting this job! I agreed to allow them to come into my home for the interview only after I Googled their name to see what popped up. To my surprise, the name popped up immediately and I was able to see their occupation, which happened to be a very prominent position. Once I was able to get a little info on this person I was more comfortable inviting them into my home. My response to their request for an in-home interview included an inquiry as to whether I had found the correct person on Google. I asked, "you wouldn't happen to work as a **********, would you?" The response was a weary "yes" and acted completely freaked out that I knew that much about them. Now, I'm afraid that they are thinking I'm some weird cyber-stalker, but seriously, I'm not about to just invite you into my house after a few email exchanges! How was I supposed to know for sure what their intentions were? Was it wrong of me to Google my potential employer?

No comments:

Post a Comment